Many patients from the Fort Myers and Naples, Florida, areas who are in need of stomach cancer surgery decide to receive treatment at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa. We have earned a reputation as a worldwide leader in performing complex cancer surgeries using state-of-the-art equipment and innovative techniques – including robot-assisted and minimally invasive approaches.
To ensure that our gastric cancer patients receive the most comprehensive treatment possible, we provide all diagnostic, treatment and supportive services in a single, convenient location – so our patients don’t have to worry about traveling to other facilities. We also have a tumor board that meets weekly to discuss each patient’s case in detail and refine the patient’s treatment plan as needed. Our team consists of fellowship-trained surgeons, radiologists, pathologists, medical oncologists, supportive care providers and a number of other experienced professionals, so our patients benefit from multiple expert opinions without the need for referrals.
Moffitt’s multispecialty team might recommend any of the following stomach cancer surgery techniques if a patient’s tumor is considered to be removable:
- Endoscopic mucosal resection – The tumor and some surrounding tissue is removed through an endoscope that is inserted down the throat.
- Total gastrectomy – The entire stomach is removed through an incision in the abdomen.
- Partial gastrectomy – A portion of the stomach is removed through an incision in the abdomen.
If it is determined that a patient’s tumor is not removable and it is blocking the stomach and impeding digestion, our surgical team may recommend one of the following stomach cancer surgery techniques:
- Endoluminal laser therapy – The tumor is reduced with a laser attached to an endoscope that is inserted through an incision in the abdomen.
- Endoluminal stent placement – A thin, flexible tube (stent) is placed either between the stomach and small intestine or the stomach and esophagus to create a clear passageway for the food.
Patients from the Fort Myers and Naples, FL, areas don’t need to allow travel complications to get in the way of receiving Moffitt’s excellent surgical treatments. We offer assistance in finding affordable, local accommodations to help make the experience as smooth as possible. We’ve partnered with several nearby hotels that offer our patients discounted rates, as well as meet our high standards for hygiene and infection control. In this way, we ensure the utmost comfort and safety of our stomach cancer surgery patients, including those with compromised immune systems.
To learn more about Moffitt’s stomach cancer surgery options for patients from the Fort Myers and Naples, FL, areas, call 1-888-663-3488 or complete a new patient registration form online. We do not require referrals.