The Lung Cancer Screening Program at Moffitt Cancer Center was established to facilitate the monitoring and early detection of various types of lung cancer in high-risk individuals. In addition to current and former smokers between the ages of 55 and 77, this group includes nonsmokers who have been exposed to secondhand smoke, asbestos, radon gas or other carcinogens, as well as those who have a family history of lung cancer. We also accept referrals for patients who have received atypical test results and therefore need to be monitored regularly for potentially cancerous developments.
The multispecialty team in the Thoracic Oncology Program at Moffitt works closely with each patient’s referring physician to provide proactive and comprehensive care. In our Lung Cancer Screening Program, each patient can benefit from:
- Low-dose computed tomography (LDCT) chest scans performed in accordance with national, evidence-based guidelines and reviewed by dedicated thoracic radiologists
- Preferential appointments with Moffitt’s lung cancer specialists
- Tumor board reviews of abnormal screening results
- Smoking cessation and tobacco treatment programs
- Supportive care and clinical services
Our lung cancer screening program is open to patients considered high-risk based on national guidelines and evidence-based practices.
The National Comprehensive Care Network (NCCN) classifies high risk as individuals who are:
- 50 years of age or older
- Current or former smokers with a 20 pack-year smoking history (pack-year = total # of years smoked X # of packs smoked per day)
- For example, one pack a day for 20 years, two packs a day for 10 years, etc.
Designed around our patients, Moffitt’s advanced and comprehensive Lung Cancer Screening Program ranks among the best in the nation. For this reason and others, Moffitt has been named a Screening Center of Excellence by the Lung Cancer Alliance and is recognized as a leader in both technology and safety. We empower our patients to take proactive roles in enhancing their health, and we are committed to providing them with the peace of mind they need and deserve.
Lung cancer screening could save your patient’s life. If you’d like to refer a patient to the Lung Cancer Screening Program at Moffitt Cancer Center, complete our online form or contacting a physician liaison for assistance. We offer a full range of lung cancer screening services in three convenient locations and in many cases, we can schedule an appointment within a few days of receiving a new patient referral.